What is it?
Irritable Bowel Syndrome is a health condition whereby one will experience abdominal discomfort and altered bowel movements.
What is the cause?
The cause is unclear but common trigger factors include:
- Family history
- On certain medications such as pain killer and antibiotics
What are the symptoms?
- Stomach cramp
When to see the doctor?
One should see the doctor if you display one or more of the following symptoms:
- Weight loss
- Diarrhoea at night
- Rectal bleeding
- Iron deficiency anaemia
- Unexplained vomiting
How to manage it?
There is no cure for irritable bowel syndrome but one can manage the symptoms by adopting the following dietary habits:
- Increase intake of fibre-rich foods such as wholegrain products
- Drink 6 to 8 glasses of water daily
- Reduce intake of gas producing foods such as beans and lentils
- Reduce intake of dairy products such as milk and ice-cream
- Reduce intake of alcohol