Coffee is a popular beverage amongst Singaporeans and many of us will start our day after having a cup of coffee. Many research studies have highlighted the possible health benefits of coffee:
- Coffee contains caffeine, a stimulant that has been shown to increase energy levels and decrease fatigue by altering levels of certain neurotransmitters in the brain.
- Caffeine also helps to protect against Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and other cognitive decline.
- Coffee is rich in antioxidants that can lower the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- Coffee helps to support weight management by altering the fat storage in the body and support gut health.
- Regular coffee drinking is also linked to a lower risk of heart disease, stroke, and heart failure.
With all the possible health benefits, one must still consume coffee in moderation. Drinking three to four cups of coffee daily is generally considered safe for most adults. However, for pregnant or breastfeeding women, children, adolescents or people with certain health condition such as hypertension should avoid or limit their coffee intake.